Faculty Office Hours
Your course instructors will be available to meet with you during office hours or by appointment. Here are a few tips to help you make the most of that visit:
1. Be sure that you are visiting during regularly scheduled office hours or that you have made an appointment in advance—don’t just “drop by” without notice.
2. Be prepared to ask specific questions.
- If you are stuck on solving a problem, be sure to take all of your work with you to show that you have made an effort and so your instructor can see where you are having difficulties.
- If you aren’t sure about a point in the lecture, be prepared to explain what you do understand. This can allow your discussion to focus on clarifying the area of uncertainty as opposed to reviewing the entire concept/topic.
- If you need clarification about an assignment, be sure to bring the assignment information with you and take careful notes.
If there is an assigned TA for your course, you should consider contacting them first as they can also offer assistance — you can always follow-up with your course instructor if questions still remain.